The Department of Urology was started by Dr. Romeo B. Reyes as a section of the surgery department in 1996 upon the request of the then Surgery Chairman Dr. Arnulfo Seares.
The section was instrumental in delivering quality urological care to indigent patients of Negros Occidental. Likewise, the section served as a teaching venue for rotating general surgery residents, post graduate interns and medical students on basic and clinical urology. The section active staff was later joined by other fellows of the Philippine Urologic Association which included Dr. Ricardo Paulo J. Yusay, Dr. Julian Salvador A. Vinco, Dr. Henry L. Gerache and recently, Dr. Christian Marie D. Magno. They are graduates of the different accredited Urologic Residency Training Program in Metro Manila.
The start of the millennium observed a rise in the number of urological cases in both hospital admissions and OPD cases. To cope up with the increasing number of patients to be served, the section saw the need to complete the necessary basic and state of the art urological equipment and facilities to keep pace with the advances in urological procedures and techniques, such as minimally invasive surgery, endoscopic stone surgery and renal transplantation surgery. This was made possible through the efforts of one of the member staff and former chairman of the Surgery department, Dr. Julian Salvador Vinco with the relentless support of the Medical Center Chief, Dr. Julius Drilon, whose vision is to propel CLMMRH as a premiere hospital in the region. The section was able to complete the basic urological instruments and state of the art equipment such as the ESWL machine (Storz Modulith), Storz Laparoscopic video tower and equipment, complete PCNL instrument set and others. It was also provided with facilities for a Stone Center.
In 2010, the idea of establishing the first General Urology Residency Training Program in the region was contemplated. The department tried to apply a number of times but was disapproved because of the moratorium imposed by the Philippine Board of Urology (PBU) for new applicants to open a training program. It was only in 2020, that the application to establish a training program was considered by the PBU as there was a need for an additional training program in the Visayas.
The Department of Urology was officially established in February 2020, after the PBU approved the application for an accredited residency training program. The initial step in the application process was to start a structured non-accredited training program in general urology which the department underwent for a year. Hopefully, the Urology Department will become the twelfth accredited clinical department of CLMMRH and the first accredited urology training program in Western Visayas.
To become the first Philippine Board of Urology (PBU) fully accredited general urology training program in region VI by 2025.
• To deliver quality urological care to patients especially the less privileged.
• To train and produce highly competent, compassionate and ethical urologist.
• To provide a venue for basic urology education to rotating general surgery residents, post graduate interns and medical students.
• To encourage and promote a strong departmental commitment to urological research.
- Scrotal surgery: Hydrocelectomy, simple orchiectomy
- Inguinal surgery: Varicocelectomy, Herniotomy
- Radical orchiectomy
- Orchidopexy for undescended testis
- Repair of testicular torsion
- Penectomy with lymph node dissection
- Urethroplasty for stricture
- Urethroplasty for hypospadias
- Repair of fistula: urethra, bladder, ureter, kidney
- Prostatectomy, simple (retropubic, suprapubic)
- Prostatectomy, radical
- Vesical diverticulectomy
- Cystectomy, radical
- Pyelolithotomy or Nephrolithotomy
- Nephrectomy, simple
- Nephrectomy, radical
- Partial Nephrectomy
- Nephrou reterectomy
- Urinary diversion procedure
- Trauma repair procedure: kidney, ureter, bladder
- Urethral calibration or dilatation
- Trans urethral resection of prostate
- Transurethral incision or prostate/ Transurethral incision of bladder neck
- Prostate Biopsy
- Percutaneous Tube Cystostomy
- Transurethral resection of bladder tumor Cystolitholapaxy, Cystolithotripsy
- Ureteral catheter insertion or removal
- Retrograde Pyelogram
- Ureteroscopy, lntracorporeal Lithotripsy, Basketing
- Percutaneous Tube Nephrostomy
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotripsy
- Post-operative follow-up
- Minor Surgeries
- Excision of penile/scrotal mass
- Repair of Wound
- Incision and Drainage
- Aspiration of fluid
- Removal of foreign body
- Circumcision/ Meatotomy
- Excision biopsy
- Incision biopsy
- Transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy
- Stone Center Services
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy
- Stent removal
- Diagnostic cystoscopy
- Cystoscopy with Biopsy